During the Eid Adha holiday last 2 weeks, had the chance to visit Syria for 6 days. Why Syria? Egypt and Jordan are too 'touristy'. Syria was the perfect choice. Took Gulf Air to Damascus and the return flight was on Air Arabia from Aleppo (Halab). Got bumped into business class from Doha and hell it was fun. That set the tone for the rest of my trip. :)
Day 1.
Arrive at Damascus International Airport around 1315 (GMT2+). The airport is still under renovation by Muhibbah Engineering, a Malaysian construction company. Took the airport limo to my hotel, somewhere near the Souq Saraoujah. I did lots of homework for this trip of mine sinced I went alone, so I rely a lot on Loneplanet book.
You don't see this in Doha. This is one of the many more sight of the biri2 di bandar.
My hotel, Ghazal Hotel. Listed as one of the best budget in Lonely planet book. Located strategically at Souq Saraoujah, it is only minutes aways from Old City of Damascus.
After a quick nap, then went straight to Damascus Old City. There's only two reason to visit Damacus, first is the Old City and the second are the rest of the city. The Citadel, Umayyad Mosque, Hamadiyyah Souq, Jewish ans the Christian Quarter are all located inside the high walls of the Old City of Damascus.
Regarded as one of the best souq in the world, The Hamadiyyah Souq. You can find practically anything here, from expensive shisha pipe to cheap red colour panties.heheh.
Inside the Umayyad Mosque, one of the most important mosque in the world. Makam Nabi Yahya is inside the mosque. The view of the 3 minarets during Magreb time is just spectacular.
The Citadel at night.
I called it a day around 8pm, I was too exhausted.
Day Two.
Today is all about the Old City of Damascus and yes, shopping!. As early was 730am, made my way to Old City. Shops are still closed and it was freezing cold. 4 degrees!
Business not in full swing mode yet. Its still early in the morning.
I know my mum would go rambang mata seeing all these ceramic and antiques. All I bought that day is for my mum and dad, both antique lovers.
Spice....
Made my way to Umayyad mosque again to perfom Zhuhur. Met few Malaysian students there, those studying in Jordan on a visit to Damascus.
Yours trully kt Umayyad Mosque.
Continue in part 2
Thursday, December 25, 2008
The One with my Syria Trip Part I
Posted by
Fairul
at
10:50
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
cool... teringin nak ke sana.. but belum berkesempatan... i wish i knew u were planning g sini earlier.. :-) jeles...
balik2! :D
Post a Comment